[gdal-dev] 1.4.4 Preliminary Win32 Binaries

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Nov 24 15:54:26 EST 2007

Ari Jolma wrote:
>> Whereas, libgdal14.dll compiled by Frank with MVSC 7.1  takes into
>> account CPL_STDCALL  and exports these symbols with the _foo at X
>> decorations.
>>

> ok, but why it's done for some and not all? And if it's needed for some,
> why not define it twice, i.e.:

Ari,

Basically, I added CPL_STDCALL for stuff I wanted to call from VB6
and didn't bother applying it to everything.

> const char CPL_DLL * CPL_STDCALL CPLGetLastErrorMsg( void );
> const char CPL_DLL * CPLGetLastErrorMsg( void );

I'm already appalled by the complexity of the externa GDAL API and would
not be keen on doubling it.  And anyways, we would need some way to produce
CPL_STDCALL and non CPL_STDCALL implementations to match the paired
prototypes.

Potentially we could deprecate STDCALL support in 1.5 and just #define
it to nothing by default in VC builds if it is causing a big problem, though
I'm not clear on why it is a problem.