[gdal-dev] 1.4.4 Preliminary Win32 Binaries

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Nov 26 06:31:21 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Potentially we could deprecate STDCALL support in 1.5 and just #define
> it to nothing by default in VC builds if it is causing a big problem,
> though I'm not clear on why it is a problem.

Frank,

To workaround the problem with mangled names, we would also need to
wrap all exported C functions with

extern "C" {}

then GCC and VC++ will be instructed to export/import unmangled names.
However, this trick doesn't work for C++ overloaded functions as well as
there are possible run-time errors. Compilers may not be even compatible on
this level from version to version and IMHO we should not expect to make
GDAL binaries interoperable for compilers from different vendors.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net