[gdal-dev] 1.4.4 Preliminary Win32 Binaries

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Mon Nov 26 07:10:00 EST 2007

Mateusz Loskot kirjoitti:
> Ari Jolma wrote:
>
>> that would create quite a lot of extra stuff into headers but my guess
>> is that it would make the resulting dll (made by VC) usable also in
>> MinGW world (except that the name issue would still be there).
>>

> DLL built with MingGW will be usable with Visual C++ (and vice versa)
> only if separete/dedicated import libraries are prepared. Having .DEF file
> it's easier than not having it, but still, dedicated binary is required.

By "usable" do you mean usable to link against or usable as a drop in
replacement (as I tried here)? By "dedicated binary" you do not mean a
separate DLL for applications compiled with different compilers?

If we forget the Colortable issue where the 1.4 bindings still use C++
API of GDAL, my first guess is that if the export names were
undecorated, I could use gdal14.dll as a drop in replacement of
libgdal-1.dll, even though they are compiled with different compilers.
I'm very sure that if I go through the hoops and link against gdal14.dll
everything will work. Note that with the tools in MinGW I can
automatically create a usable .DEF and from that a usable .a for linking
against (this .a is not a static library, it is some kind of link
library for the dll).

I'm willing to go through the hoops once I get a 1.5 binary. By the way,
I'd appreciate one already now so I could have a working method for
compiling the Perl bindings against it. Having a GDAL DLL with most if
not all drivers included would be a new thing for me. So far I've not
been able to include JPEG2000 drivers for example.

>> But I'm
>> still puzzled why _Foo at 0 syntax is needed *only* for some functions?
>>

> Mangling is required for C++ functions, class members functions,
> overloaded functions.

yes, but I'm speaking of decorations for C API functions.

Cheers,

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Geoinformaatio- ja paikannustekniikka / Geoinformation and positioning