[gdal-dev] 1.4.4 Preliminary Win32 Binaries

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 26 09:09:19 EST 2007

Ari Jolma wrote:
> I'm willing to go through the hoops once I get a 1.5 binary. By the way,
> I'd appreciate one already now so I could have a working method for
> compiling the Perl bindings against it.

Ari,

Is this is a request for a GDAL 1.5 win32 build similar to the 1.4.4
binearies I prepared?  I am willing to produce such a set with the
first beta for GDAL 1.5 if that would be helpful.

Hopefully we can lock down ABI compatability from the first beta on.

 > Having a GDAL DLL with most if
> not all drivers included would be a new thing for me. So far I've not
> been able to include JPEG2000 drivers for example.

Note that it is not been my practice to produce a "featureful"
builds for the core Win32 binaries.  That is, I don't build in
formats beyond the base set.  This is partly because I want the
base official binaries to avoid having huge numbers of library
dependencies.

Perhaps for the 1.5 series I could aim at a "light GDAL15.DLL"
with the base set, a "heavy GDAL15.DLL" with a fair amount of
stuff built in (and a corresponding collection of DLLs for the
dependencies, and then plugins for stuff beyond that.

I'm not prepared to distribute plugins for formats like ECW,
JPEG2000, or MrSID with hard to be sure of license terms from
the GDAL/OSGeo web site, but I will likely offer such from my
own personal web site.

>>> But I'm
>>> still puzzled why _Foo at 0 syntax is needed *only* for some functions?
>>>

>> Mangling is required for C++ functions, class members functions,
>> overloaded functions.
>>

> yes, but I'm speaking of decorations for C API functions.

As mentioned previously, I basically added the stdcall only on functions
I used, or anticipated using in the VB6 bindings.