[Gdal-dev] Namespaced Python Bindings

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:12:27 EDT 2007

All,

With Chris Barker providing the brainpower and myself providing the
typing ability, we have reorganized the next-gen Python bindings to
utilize the 'osgeo' namespace by default.  It is expected that the
next-gen bindings will be the default bindings distributed with GDAL
1.5.  The reason for the 'osgeo' namespace rather than using just
'gdal' is that we can't have a package and a module at the same time
and still support the old import method.  Because we need to continue
to support the old-style import for a while, it was decided to follow
C#'s lead and use 'osgeo'.

I have written an RFC (voted upon and passed by voice vote!)
detailing the changes

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc17_python_namespaces

Thanks for a great sprint!

Howard