[Gdal-dev] Ogr and Postgis support

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Oct 1 14:14:59 EDT 2007

On Oct 1, 2007, at 10:36 AM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Brian Hamlin wrote:
>> For python, I have since upgraded to 2.5.1, leaving me with two
>> python installs, which causes me grief now and then. But basically,
>> the GDAL bindings work fine.
>
> Which python are you using them with? Apple's 2.3 is a bit broken (I
> think mostly for GUI apps though), and the consensus among most
> MacPython folks is that it is best to use one of the newer "framework"
> builds -- 2.4 or 2.5.

If you invoke /usr/bin/python, its the "stock" OSX python
/usr/local/bin/python gives me the Framework install, 2.5.1

>> I installed Numeric and that works fine.
>
> Numeric is generally still working, but it is no longer supported, and
> think has a couple issues with 2.5 -- going to numpy is a good idea.

"Issues" can mean a lot of things! Since I do make minimal use of the
whole setup,
I may not be affected by whatever those are..

For example, i run the AutoTest series.. oh wait, I patched out three
bad tests..
checking..  ogr_mem_10(), ogr_wkbwkt_geom_bigexponents(), osr_proj4_3()
those were problematic....

    bna , sqlite , dimap, nitf_8 - fail (blowup)

all in all
Succeeded: 547
Failed 32 (17 blew exceptions)
Skipped 224   <- uninstalled options for example

i sent the output to mloskot two weeks ago when I first laid eyes on
AutoTest
I think he is probably still travelling

>> I do not follow the talk of NumPy and new Python bindings.
>
> Both numpy and the NG bindings are the way to go into the future. The
> NG
> bindings are getting attention now, and work great. I'm not sure when
> they will become the default -- maybe 1.5-- Frank?

for now, I can access OGR functions, and some basic geometry functions.
Thats fine for me.
I _do_ wish that SQLite would work :-)

hth
   -Brian