[Gdal-dev] Shapfiles and Projections

Martin Chapman mchapman at texelinc.com
Thu Oct 4 18:18:58 EDT 2007

Kent,

Make sure there is a .prj file with the same name as the .shp file.  NTAD
data doesn't always come with these projection files.  If you read the .txt
file with the shape file it will tell you what datum it is using.  Attached
is a wgs84 prj file that should work if you rename it to be the same as your
.shp file.  NTAD is generally in WGS84.

Martin Chapman
Chief Software Architect
Fortified Datacom Inc.