[Gdal-dev] A Question of Coordinate Storage

David M. Baker dmbaker at cox.net
Sun Oct 7 17:12:55 EDT 2007

Dean,

Perfectly said!  Thank you for your insight.  What is interesting is we are
doing an evaluation of Discovery on OpenWorks and the original
recommendation that Halliburton was to store all data in some projected
coordinate system as OpenWorks is so Landmark seismic oriented.  But were
are looking for a robust corporate well data store and have operations from
the Rockies to the Gulf and New Mexico to Appalachia, so a single projected
system is not practical.  The new version of OpenWorks at least stores both
the original coordinates and the master projected be it x, y or lat/lon.

David

  _____