[Gdal-dev] Shapfiles and Projections

Dean Mikkelsen dcmikkelsen at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 9 14:36:27 EDT 2007

Hi Kent,

The Shapefile technical definition can also be found here:

http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/shapefile.pdf

and

http://facweb.knowlton.ohio-state.edu/selhami/crpinfo/teaching/CRP608/Shape%20file%20structure.doc

Note that the .prj is optional and was a late addition to the Shapefile definition (not sure myself when it came along, but it was not present in the Original White paper).

Cheers,
Dean