[Gdal-dev] OGR utilities moved to gdal/apps, plugin version checking

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Oct 14 00:20:29 EDT 2007

Folks,

I have moved the ogr utilities from gdal/ogr to gdal/apps, along with the
gdal applications.  This is stuff like ogrinfo, ogr2ogr, and ogrtindex.
This was primarily done as part of ensuring the ogr utilities are "linked
normally" against the gdal shared library, and to simplify the number of
places with executable linking logic.

I did it now because a recent change added a dependency in OGR drivers on
stuff in gdal/gcore.  That is, GDAL and OGR drivers now do "version testing"
when a plugin is loaded in an attempt to reduce the changes of ABI changes
causing plugins to crash gdal/ogr applications.  See:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/12396

I have updated the normal win32, and unix makefiles accordingly and things
seem to build.  Let me know if you encounter problems.