[Gdal-dev] Sponsor Survey

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 15 14:12:41 EDT 2007

Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> I have two thoughts on that.
>
> 1. I think that the first question ("Which aspect of GDAL/OGR is more
> important to your organization? The GDAL (raster) services, or the OGR
> (vector/feature) services, or are both important?") should be removed,
> because it is pointless. If most sponsors do not interested in GDAL,
> does it mean we should drop it? No way. Don't they interested in OGR? We
> should continue OGR. So I do not see a point in the first question.

Andrey,

If we find that essentially all sponsor interest is with GDAL (or with
OGR) I think it would provide guidance on where we would focus our
(sponsored) maintenance efforts.  I can't think of any question in the
survey that would result in our dropping an aspect of GDAL/OGR.  Instead
the objective is to know where most sponsor interest is, so we can try
and do a good/better job in those areas.

Partly I have included this question because one sponsor privately wanted
to make it clear they were only interested in supporting GDAL, not OGR.

> 2. The eight question ("Is support for non-English languages within
> GDAL/OGR important to your organization?") should be reworded as :
>
> "Is international and localized support in GDAL/OGR important to your
> organization?"

I have reworded the whole thing as:

"""
8. Is international and localized support in GDAL/OGR important to your
organization? (ie. multi-byte characters in filenames, features attributes,
metadata)? (not at all important, somewhat important, very important) If so,
what particular aspects are important?
"""

I wanted to ask seperately about non-C locale issues, and multibyte
characters but I found the question getting very technical.  So I backed
off to "non english" with an example, but I didn't really like that either
so I'm happy to have better text.