[Gdal-dev] Another NetCDF driver bug fix

Mario Cruz Mario.Cruz at esa.int
Thu Oct 18 05:05:03 EDT 2007

> Joaquim Luis wrote:
> > Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >>
> >> Joaquim,
> >>
> >> I believe we need someone to step up and take ownership of the netcdf
> >> driver.  It seems that Denis Nadeau does not have the time to do a
lot of
> >> new work on it, and I have been trying to duck these issues.  Are you
> >> interested in taking on responsibility for it?
> >
> > Frank,
> > I'm honored and willing to help but I think you overestimated my
> > programing skills.
> > I must warn you (and the others) that I can more or less read C++ but
> > that is not a language that I practice.
> > So, I can give my contribution but don't know if that is enough to say

> > that I'll be responsible
> > for the driver.
>
> Joaquim,
>
> Assuming this isn't false modesty, it might be better if you acted as
> tester and perhaps providing some patches rather than taking on primary
> responsibility.
>
> Paavo Jumppanen has proposed some substantial upgrades to the netcdf
> driver ...   too comprehensive for me to make a quick analysis.  Perhaps
> you could try integrating them in a local build and test them to see if
> they seem appropriate?
>
>    http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1808

The update adds features, but doesn't fix any issues in the existing
driver.

It does seem to allow access to variables with one dimension, which would
address my previous unanswered question. Although it requires knowledge
about the dataset, thus reducing GDAL's value as a nice exploratory
platform. But it isn't meant to be one, anyway.

Well, thanks for the link, I'll also be merging it with my codebase to
give it a spin and see how it works.

Best regards,

Mario Cruz