[Gdal-dev] Segmentation fault in gdal_rasterize

Jean-Claude Repetto jean-claude.repetto at worldonline.fr
Wed Oct 24 07:50:47 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have downloaded a bitmap file of the world
(http://veimages.gsfc.nasa.gov//2433/land_shallow_topo_2048.tif)
and a shape file of the administrative limits
(http://www.pagcgeo.org/world_factbk.zip).

I would like to add the administrative limits to the world map by using
gdal_rasterize.

I have tried this command :

gdal_rasterize -b 1 -b 2 -b 3 -burn 255 -burn 0 -burn 0 -l world_factbk
world_factbk.shp land_shallow_topo_2048.tif

But a segmentation fault occurs. I have enabled CPL_DEBUG to get more
debug messages. This is the result :

GDAL: Auto register /usr/lib/gdalplugins/gdal_GRASS.so using
GDALRegister_GRASS.
OGR: Auto register /usr/lib/gdalplugins/ogr_GRASS.so using RegisterOGRGRASS.
GRASS: OGRGRASSDataSource::Open
GRASS: OGRGRASSDataSource::~OGRGRASSDataSource()
OGR: OGROpen(world_factbk.shp/0x616720) succeeded as ESRI Shapefile.
GDAL: GDALOpen(land_shallow_topo_2048.tif) succeeds as GTiff.
0100 - done.
Shape: 27459 features read on layer 'world_factbk'.
Segmentation fault

What I am doing wrong ? (I am using the version 1.4.2 of GDAL).

Thanks,
Jean-Claude