[Gdal-dev] 1.4.3 build and NG bindings

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Oct 29 12:49:18 EDT 2007

Hi All-

   I am still getting used to the details of GDAL/OGR. I found the
output of the configure script to be a little confusing regarding NG,
or Next Gen bindings and building. Howard Butler clarified it pretty
well, so I am repeating that here. I hope this helps others with this
build.

   NG Bindings, or Next Gen, means SWIG. So if you are using a SWIG
binding in any language, that is NG.   -  Originally there was python
only, in a directory called pymod, and that alone is not NG. With 1.4.3
you can still specifiy the pymod python interface.

   --with-python  => pymod interfaces
   --without-python  --with-ngpython  =>  SWIG python, these are the
preferred interfaces in the future

   On the Macintosh, I have a new Framework python installed, version
2.5.x. Configure will not find that. You can tell configure to put your
python support files in the framework python on the Mac. It seems to be
this

   --with-pymoddir=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/

  hth
   -Brian