[Gdal-dev] "upside down" images

Bryan Keith bryan at ideotrope.org
Wed Sep 5 08:54:18 EDT 2007

> Hi all,
>
> I have a surfer binary grid that I plan to use with GDAL.
> Unfortunately, GDAL is not picking up the proper coordinate space for
> the image... Note that the lower and upper Y values are swapped
> causing any output files to be flipped along the Y axis.

Matthew,

I've seen this issue with the Surfer drivers as well.  I have been meaning
to do a careful check and report my findings, but I haven't had a chance
to do that yet.

> I've brought this issue up before
> (http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2006-April/008499.html)
> in reference to netcdf files. I was just wondering if:
>
> a) anyone has experienced this and come up with a clean solution
> (editing gcps and vrts work but are hardly a robust solution).
>
> or
>
> b) since this does not seem to be a driver-specific issue (or at least
> it appears in both the netcdf and the surfer grd drivers), would it be
> possible for GDAL to handle this case in a more generic way?

I haven't used the netcdf driver, but it does seem to me to be a driver
issue.  I have only noticed with the Surfer drivers, not with the ~5
others drivers that I use regularly.

Bryan