[Gdal-dev] Re: gdal fails on vrt (virtual raster) file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 5 12:04:47 EDT 2007

WolfgangZ wrote:
> this patch is probably not jet applied in the FWTools. But I'm wondering
> why even gdalinfo needs to create a temporary file? Why is there the
> need from gdalinfo or gdal_translate to read in the full image? Do I
> understand that that limit equals the maximum file size that can be
> handled? Where is this temporary file usually generated? I'm working on
> W2k.

Wolfgang,

I agree that the patch is likely not in FWTools because FWTools uses
a stock external libjpeg instead of the adjusted GDAL libjpeg.

I'm not exactly clear what the temp file is for.  I have the vague
impression it is only needed with progressive jpegs, but I could be wrong.

I don't know for sure where it is created.

Best regards,

-