[Gdal-dev] problems compiling gdal with xerces

Edward Fialkowski wef1 at cec.wustl.edu
Wed Sep 5 15:26:44 EDT 2007

Sorry, I sent from the wrong e-mail address so the list didn't accept it.

Hey Mateusz, thanks for looking into it.  I did just today, finally get Gdal
compiled with Xerces. I just had to find the right jumble of options.
Unfortunately, I wasn't as close as I thought. The whole point for me is to
use this program FeatureServer, which provides WFS data to OpenLayers, a
javascript mapping application.

So, just in case you or anyone are interested, I did get Xerces working:
[root at niceguy ogr]# ./ogrinfo wfs.gml
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `wfs.gml'
      using driver `GML' successful.
1: GIS

Unfortunately, my FeatureServer request returns an error:

An error occurred: libxerces-c.so.27: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory

So, I run /sbin/ldconfig to reload shared libraries.  FeatureServer does
indeed recognize the library now, but returns the original error that OGR
cannot read the GML result.  So, I check my ogrinfo again, and apparently
xerces is not installed....

So here's my whole routine.  If I run make install from gdal directory, the
ogrinfo command-line once again recognizes gml input, but the shared
libraries cannot be loaded for my FeatureServer.

[root at niceguy ogr]# ./ogrinfo wfs.gml
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `wfs.gml'
      using driver `GML' successful.
1: GIS
[root at niceguy ogr]# /sbin/ldconfig
[root at niceguy ogr]# ./ogrinfo wfs.gml
ERROR 1: Unable to create Xerces C++ based GML reader, Xerces support
not configured into GDAL/OGR.
ERROR 1: File wfs.gml appears to be GML but the GML reader can't
be instantiated, likely because Xerces support wasn't
configured in.
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `wfs.gml' with the following drivers.
  -> ESRI Shapefile
  -> MapInfo File
  -> UK .NTF
  -> SDTS
  -> TIGER
  -> S57
  -> DGN
  -> VRT
  -> AVCBin
  -> REC
  -> Memory
  -> CSV
  -> GML
  -> KML
  -> PostgreSQL

Pretty bizarre if you ask me, now I have even less of a clue what to do than
before!

Thanks again for looking into that.  If anyone has any random ideas or
suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.
-Ed