[Gdal-dev] Re: gdal fails on vrt (virtual raster) file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 5 16:08:44 EDT 2007

WolfgangZ wrote:
> I will try tomorrow to convert these data on my linux machine (with
> FWTools) again. Furthermore I will try a "gdal_translate -of JPEG
> input.jpg out.jpg" on all tiles to get non progressive jpgs (hopefully).
> At least a more clear error would be nice to get a better hint where the
> error is. Would it also be possible to add to gdalinfo which compression
> is used (ie tiff has several possibilities (JPEG, LZW,...) and jpeg has
> a progressive and nonprogressive mode). I would suggest a --verbose mode
> for gdalinfo.
>
> Thanks for your help so far!

Wolfgang,

A lot of the error handling involved here is deep in libjpeg and so I think
it is hard for GDAL to provide detailed diagnostics.

It would be nice for the JPEG driver to indicate if a given file is
progressive or not.  This could be returned as IMAGE_STRUCTURE domain
metadata and then it would be reported by gdalinfo.  Patches welcome.