[Gdal-dev] host for 20gb+ free data?

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Sep 11 17:16:10 EDT 2007

Hi All,

A little while I asked:

> I've a growing collection of spatial raster data for which there is no
> restriction on public use and re-use, but which we will not host
> ourselves as it is not something we wish to support or answer questions
> about. There is no reason for it not to be generally available though.
> Anyone know a place to host it?

...and Adam Nowacki and the Free Earth Foundation answered the call.
Thank you Adam and FEF.

The first of the collection is posted to
http://sydney.freeearthfoundation.com/mattwilkie/draft/canada_50k_dem/

It is a 1:50,000 digital elevation model of Canada in 71 tiles. It's
marked draft because as of yet there has been no real Q&A of the result
except in a few areas of personal interest. Basically I've run a bunch
of scripts from the command line and trusted the tools were doing what I
expected them too. P:)

Feeback is welcome, very much so, but there is no promise of response or
fixes in the event of errors as supporting "the world" is outside the
scope of my job description. Or so my supervisor keeps reminding me.

I hope the data is of some use to somebody, and thereby justify my time
assembling it and the FEF's expenditure of resources. If not, oh well, I
learned a bunch in the process will continue to be put it to good use!

Cheers,

--
matt wilkie
Geographic Information,