[Gdal-dev] Compiling gdal 1.4.2 with HDF4.2 fails

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 11 23:46:08 EDT 2007

Ed Fialkowski wrote:
> Awesome, that did it, along with a bit of help from the 'common
> problems' section of HDF.
>
> Unfortunately, still not crystal quite yet.
> First thing I check is gdal_translate --formats, and I don't see HDF
> anywhere.
> When I check gdal-config --formats, I do!
>
> [root at niceguy apps]# ./gdal-config --formats
> gxf gtiff hfa aigrid aaigrid ceos ceos2 iso8211 xpm sdts raw dted mem
> jdem envisat elas fit vrt usgsdem l1b nitf bmp pcidsk airsar rs2 ilwis
> rmf rik leveller sgi idrisi wcs bsb hdf4 gif jpeg png netcdf pcraster
>
> So, that's a bit weird.  It's definitely compiled with some of the hdf
> support, just not quite sure how to get it over to gdal_translate.  Any
> ideas?
>
> I've attached the output from gdal_translate's format list, just in case.

Ed,

Generally this is the result of not doing a clean make, failing to actually
install or having multiple copies of GDAL around and using one that isn't
the one you just build and installed.

Try:

make clean; make; make install

in the gdal directory.

If the problem persists, try "ldd `which gdal_translate`" to find
out what shared library is actually getting used and verify (with
ls -l) that it is the one you just built and installed.