[Gdal-dev] Import Gdal

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 19 13:24:38 EDT 2007

Sean Gillies wrote:
> I think virtualenv looks like a promising tool for creating isolated,
> replicable environments (like the ones from FWTools).

> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv

Yes, that is a cool and useful package.

However, I'm not sure it solves the python -- gdal issues. Sure, some
folks are using python with gdal just for the utilities, etc. ( this
would be the FWTools case), but gdal is a very useful package for
building all sorts of stuff, and there is a lot of need for gdal to be
just another package that plays well with everything else python, so
that people can easily build apps using gdal and whatever other stuff
they need.

It's not bad now -- just needs an easier installation, and the gdal
stuff really should be put in a package. Looking in my site-packages
dir, I have:

ogr.py
ogr.pyc
osr.py
osr.pyc
gdal.py
gdal.pyc
gdalconst.py
gdalconst.pyc
gdalnumeric.py
gdalnumeric.pyc
_gdalmodule.so

That's quite a bit of clutter. All that really should be in a "gdal"
package directory instead. That would require a change to everyone's
import statements, however. (that's th eonly change, though -- not bad,
really)

It would be nice to make the change while keeping the old way around for
a version or two (deprecated) -- on *nix, that's easy, just put in some
symlinks -- on Windows, I don't know how to cleanly do it.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov