[Gdal-dev] GDAL's Python Identity Crisis (was Re: Import Gdal)

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 00:22:11 EDT 2007

Chris,

This is something that Frank is probably sick of me whining about.
I'm willing to make the changes, but the consequence of doing so is
we have to suck up the testing, question answering, and other grief a
change like this will likely cause.  Can you do that with me?  I
think we should only do this for the next-gen bindings, but I'm open
to suggestions.

The other issue is if we namespace the Python GDAL packages, what do
we pick for a name?

Python currently uses:
 >>>  import gdal
 >>>  import osr
 >>>  import ogr

C# uses:
OSGeo.GDAL
OSGeo.OSR
OSGeo.OGR

Ruby uses:
gdal::gdal
gdal::osr
gdal::ogr

Perl uses:
Geo-GDAL
Geo-OSR
Geo-OGR

Java uses:
org.gdal.gdal
org.gdal.osr
org.gdal.osr

What makes sense for a GDAL namespace for Python?  I'm inclined to
take Ruby's approach, but I could be swayed any way.  GDAL Python
users please speak up with suggestions.  We probably won't change it
for another ten years :)

Howard