[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL's Python Identity Crisis (was Re: Import Gdal)

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Fri Sep 21 20:00:18 EDT 2007

Hi There,

I am very happy that you guys are going to work on the GDAL's Python
extension. I just want to add my humble comment for why I see it as very
important:

Some time ago, I used GDAL 1.3.2 with Python to develop a import routine
for data from the IPCC archives. That thing attract so much attention
from GIS and Remote Sense students that I decide to build a installer
with InnoSetup and give it away. They just needed to run my GDAL
installer, Numeric, Python and PythonWin installer.

I am not going to comment on the current situation, but...

The point I want to make is that this combination of scripting language
and GDAL is a very powerful tool for students to put their hands on the
core of GIS technology in a very simple and efficient way. Not just
reading about it or running somebody else's code.

That is what I think: They are not programmers, so we weed to make it
easier for then. They use Windows and they need the PythonWin IDE
because it has code completion and interactive debugging. After typing
"gdal." they need to see what is available. They need to run step by
step to check for their mistakes and to learn how that "programming
stuff" works (sort of).

And I believe they will have it.

In a week!

Best regards,