[Gdal-dev] Python error importing GDAL using 3rd party IDE

Kerry Halligan halligan at geog.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 25 15:18:43 EDT 2007

I am new to python and GDAL and am having trouble using GDAL from anything
other than the standard python command line or the Python IDLE Tk GUI.  If I
try to import GDAL using any 3rd party IDE's version of the Python shell I
get the following errors:

File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\gdal\gdal.py", line 191, in ?
    import _gdal

I have tried this from the following IDEs
1) SPE
2) pyDev
3) Wing

I am running Python on a Windows XP workstation and have installed it all in
the following manner:
1) Downloaded and installed Python 2.4.4 using the installer (
python-2.4.4.msi) from http://www.python.org/download/
2) Downloaded and installed gdal-python-13.win32-py2.4.exe from
http://www.urbansim.org/download/files/third-party/.  When I tried a more
recent version found at http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/ the
installation did not generate a /gdal folder and could not be loaded as a
module even from the Python command line
3) Created a PYTHONPATH environment variable with the following value:
C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\gdal

Can anyone provide insight here?  Did I go about the installation of GDAL in
the wrong way?  Is there some other way to register the GDAL module so that
3rd party IDEs can see it?  If anyone out there has a step-by-step
instruction manual for getting Python/GDAL/numpy/scipy and an IDE running
that a total newbie could understand I would be grateful.

Thanks for any help that can be offered,

Kerry

--
Kerry Halligan
halligan.kerry at gmail.com