[Gdal-dev] Problems retrieving z-values

tjansson tommy.jansson at kongsberg.com
Thu Sep 27 03:28:23 EDT 2007

> Could you provide some snippet of your code + ideally a piece of data?

> As I see, we don't have any tests of 25D geometries for S-57 so I'm

> interested in updating the test suite accordingly.

A part of the code traverses thourgh all layers and extract each feature...

while((poFeature = poLayer->GetNextFeature()) != NULL)

...with appurtenant feature definition...

poFDefn = poLayer->GetLayerDefn()

...and geometry...

poGeometry = poFeature->GetGeometryRef()

These properties - feature, feature definition and geometry - are passed as
parameters to a parser function...

parseGeometry(..., poGeometry, poFDefn, poFeature, ...);

In the parserGeometry function there the geometry type is retieved...

OGRwkbGeometryType geometryType = poFDefn->GetGeomType();

...and a switch is used to check what type is it...

switch(geometryType)

{

case wkbPoint:

poPoint = (OGRPoint *) poGeometry;

double dX = poPoint->getX();

double dY = poPoint->getY();

case wkbPoint25D:

poPoint = (OGRPoint *) poGeometry;

double dX = poPoint->getX();

double dY = poPoint->getY();

double dY = poPoint->getZ();

}

I the switch have cases for all the different geometry types - wkbUnknown,
wkbPoint, wkbLineString, wkbPolygon, wkbMultiPoint, wkbMultiLineString,
wkbMultiPolygon, wkbGeometryCollection, wkbNone, wkbLinearRing, wkbPoint25D,
wkbLineString25D, wkbPolygon25D, wkbMultiPoint25D, wkbMultiLineString25D,
wkbMultiPolygon25D, wkbGeometryCollection25D - but, as stated before, the
code never hits on any of the 2.5D types cases.

The maps I am user are downloaded from NOAA (
http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/download.htm
http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/download.htm).  One map I have used
is one called  http://www.nabble.com/file/p12916176/US2AK91M.000
US2AK91M.000 . This is converter into a simple dat-file (
http://www.nabble.com/file/p12916176/s57output.dat s57output.dat )
containing XYZ-data. The Z-data has until now, always been 0 (zero), but the
XY-data are ok as far as I can tell.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p12916176/US2AK91M_000_pic.jpg

Above is an image drawn with GNUPlot from dat-file generated by the code.

Don't know if this helps in identifying the problem.