[gdal-dev] SRTM30+ Version 3.0 as GeoTIF?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 17 14:26:08 EDT 2008

Rich Signell wrote:
> GDAL folks,
>
> Does anyone have the SRTM30+ Version 3.0 global topography as a single
> GeoTIF, or even better, a script for taking the *.strm files at:
> ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/srtm30_plus/data
> and producing such a global GeoTIF?
>
> This 30 arc second global topography combines SRTM30 land topographhy
> with Smith & Sandwell  + NOAA Coastal Relief Model + a growing number
> of high resolution coastal ocean bathymetry to create one of the best
> worldwide bathymetric grids available.  Details are at:
> http://topex.ucsd.edu/WWW_html/srtm30_plus.html
>
> Nearly two years ago, I got Version 1.0 of this dataset as a GeoTIFF
> via geotorrent.org (which seems to no longer be functioning, BTW), and
> I'm assuming it was made using GDAL.   But I am having a hard time
> finding a GeoTIF version of Version 3.0.
>
> They will soon be coming out with a version 4.0, so it would be great
> to have the script for doing the conversion available.
>
> If someone has the script, I volunteer to work with the UCSD guys so
> that they can provide GeoTIFFs as new versions of SRTM30+ become
> available.

Rich,

I produced the merged SRTM30+ geotiff that was on geotorrent.org.  I
believe I recently scrubbed the directory where I did this work.  I
had implemented it by writing a small python script to create a .hdr
or something similar for each file.

It is my understanding that the relatively new SRTM driver in GDAL
should support srtm files directly, so I think you could use it with
gdal_merge.py to create an SRTM mosaic directly.