[gdal-dev] Outline of world land masses

Michael Slinn mslinn at mslinn.com
Sun Apr 20 18:37:47 EDT 2008

Joaquim,

Thanks for letting me know about DCW.  I need coastal outlines for an
open source nautical charting program that I am developing.  Low
resolution is all that I need, so users can get a sense of what the
world looks like when they zoom all the way out.  Political boundaries
are not required, but I would not erase them if they came along for free.

The DCW layers that seem interesting are:
 - Political/Ocean
 - Ocean Features

For my immediate need, the above is overkill, but in the future it might
well be useful.

I looked through the links and found ONC boundaries
(http://geoengine.nga.mil/geospatial/SW_TOOLS/NIMAMUSE/webinter/onc_legend.html)
which looks great.  I could not find VPVIEWER but I found vpfviewer
(http://www.ivtools.org/vhclmaps/vpfviewer.html) which seems similar.

Mike