[gdal-dev] RFC 23: OGR Unicode

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 23 14:27:01 EDT 2008

Folks,

I'm looking to fix reading of NVARCHAR fields via ODBC and in an effort
to solve this problem in a reasonably general way, I am proposing to
add some mechanisms for encoding changes in CPLString.  This is essentially
taking a small bite out of the things that RFC 5 was attempting to address
to keep things managable.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc23_ogr_unicode

I'm *not* really interested in expanding the scope a lot at this point, but
I would appreciate feedback on the proposed approach before I bring it to a
vote.  Note also that my approach to CPLString changes is somewhat different
than Andrey proposed in RFC 5.  In particular, I do not require that CPLStrings
always be UTF-8.  Also I use iconv() style names for encodings instead of an
enumerated list.