[gdal-dev] Minimalist Windows binaries (OGR)

Philippe Kruschitz kruschitz at grid-it.at
Thu Aug 7 12:21:16 EDT 2008

Hi,

The "Building On Windows With Minimized Drivers" page being under
construction, I'll take a chance and post my question here.

What I need are basically binaries for an application that only makes
use of the OGR utilities. My application works like a charm with the
FWTools, but the whole thing is way to big to be integrated. I tried the
"minimalist windows executables" with the PG plug-in on the binaries
page, but experienced some problems. First, exporting from a PostGIS DB
to a shapefile with ogr2ogr would not create a *.prj file, which it did
with the last FWTools (newer version?). Writing the same table to KML
didn't work either, my coordinates being (for some obscure reason)
totally messed up.

Now my question, how difficult would it be to build a stripped down
version of the library with only the OGR utilities. I builded some
things before, but only under Linux (GRASS and other GIS software). My
knowledge on this topic is, at the best, rudimentary, but I'm ready to
give it a try (I was able to build GDAL from source using the
information in the wiki). Is there something like a configuration file
(nmake.opt?), where I could only use those things I really needed?

Thanks,

Philippe Kruschitz