[gdal-dev] Minimalist Windows binaries (OGR)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 7 13:23:09 EDT 2008

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> It's not ogr only, but if you use OSGeo4W advanced install and select
> just the 'gdal' package you get something which is much lighter weight
> than fwtools with a minimum of fuss.
>
> See http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki

Matt / Philippe,

This is still quite a bit heavier than the default build of GDAL from source
due to the dependency on various external DLLs for stuff like hdf, netcdf,
etc.

I will note that you can substantially reduce the amount of raster stuff in
the GDAL DLL by modifying the EXTRAFLAGS in gdal\frmts\makefile.vc to
include less item.  With a variety of hacking I was able to get a small
configuration working with it set to:

EXTRAFLAGS =    -DFRMT_raw -DFRMT_png -DFRMT_mem -DFRMT_jpeg -DFRMT_vrt

for a client.  But I believe I ended up making various other changes -
for instance to disable the OGRSpatialReference dependence on the GeoTIFF
stuff for EPSG lookups.

I wish I had added notes in the wiki as I did this work!