[gdal-dev] Problem importing osgeo module in Python

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 19:15:13 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,

> that shouldn't be required -- site-packages should be on your sys.path
> already. Is your python in /export/lib64/python2.3 ? Do you have more than
> one python?

My Python is not in  /export/lib64/python2.3.  (for some reason, saying that
makes me laugh, but I digress)  I also do not have more than one version
installed.

try:

> $ python
> >> import datetime 3 or any standard module
> >> print datetime.__file__

That's a useful trick, thanks.  My python install appears to be in:
 /usr/lib64/python2.3

> Also -- why python 2.3? that's getting pretty darn old!

Yeah, defintely.  This is a work machine, and I'm going to have to get onto
my soapbox to get IT to up the version in our production environment as
well.

Thanks for the help.  I did get this working by adding the gdal lib path to
ld.so.conf and running ldconfig.  Then added a PYTHONPATH setting in .bashrc
that points to the /export/lib64/site-package dir.

Roger