[gdal-dev] curve fit question

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Mon Aug 11 12:46:56 EDT 2008

Does anyone know of a function in GDAL or related libraries that given a
set of points it will return a new set of points that is or can be used
to create a smoothed polyline?  I have heard about things like linear
fit and least squares but I have not used them and I am quite rusty on
the math used to calculate a smoothed line from a set of points.  I have
done a lot of web searching and found various generic algorithms but I
don't see how to apply them.  For example a linear regression sample
takes in a set of X-Y points but it only returns 3 values of C and
standard deviation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce