[gdal-dev] orginfo and prj files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 14:28:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
> Lucena, Ivan wrote:

>> In that case I would expect something like coming from ogrinfo:
>>
>>    GEOGCS["NAD83",
>>        DATUM["North_American_Datum_1983",
>>            SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.257222101,
>>                AUTHORITY["EPSG","7019"]],
>>            AUTHORITY["EPSG","6269"]],

Ivan,

The shapefile driver does run morphFromESRI() and we can confirm
that takes place because the D_ has been stripped from the datum
name.  However, morphFromESRI() will *not* add in authority nodes
or otherwise fill in missing information.  It just changes a few known
patterns from ESRI names to OGR names (projection names, parameters
datums).

Your earlier question related to whether it was possible to establish
what EPSG coordinate system an ESRI .prj file is.  There is no practical
way to do this with OGRSpatialReference.