[gdal-dev] encodings, locales ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Aug 18 19:50:18 EDT 2008

Attila Csipa wrote:
> Just being curious as to what the current status on encoding/locale support is
> in GDAL/OGR ? I've seen RFC-23 (and 5), but I'm curious as to which drivers
> support this currently or at least in known development phase (as their
> implementation is listed as 'on demand' in the RFC).

Some bits of the RFC-23 implementation has been already
submitted to the  SVN trunk. Try this queries to find detailed changesets:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/search?q=RFC23&noquickjump=1&changeset=on
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/search?q=RFC+23&noquickjump=1&changeset=on

> Also, is there plan for
> doing proper localization or is it just internationalization for now ?

Could you explain what you mean as "proper localization" and what is
missing in the RFC-23 that would make it "proper"?