[gdal-dev] GSoC GDAL2Tiles: MapTiler.org, Google Maps Projection Web, Source Code

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Tue Aug 19 02:39:16 EDT 2008

Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for positive feedback ;-)

> Just a question after a quick look at the doc : can the input file be a
> raster catalog (the gdaltindex thing) ? Raster data needing to be tiled
> fur web publication are sometimes already tiled in several pieces
> because of their size.

I don't think you can use gdaltindex with other gdal tools (like
gdal_transform) either.
gdaltindex is used by UNM MapServer but not by other GDAL tools, as I know.

You would need to use VRT for combining several rasters into one...
Use gdal_vrtmerge.py, it has similar syntax like gdaltindex. It is in
the source under /swig/python/samples/.
Result can be passed then to gdal2tiles and it should run well I hope.

Is there any plan to merge gdal_vrtmerge into "gdal_merge -of VRT"?

Best regards

Klokan