[gdal-dev] RE: progressive rendering

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Aug 27 17:26:46 EDT 2008

Norman,

I've seen your answers to my question on the wiki.

So, if the call is not blocking, it means that the callback will not be called
back in the thread of the caller, but by a thread created by the driver. That
might be a problem, as many bad things can happen then if the dataset is
called before the last call from the driver is made, or if the user_data or
the "objects" that it contains are destroyed, etc. OK, this is not the fault
of the driver, but it is very easy for users to write bad code in such a
design. Or they need to have an obvious way of knowing that it is definitely
finished. I must also mention that you can't for example use safely the same
GDALDataset* object from different threads without locks.

Your API proposal could be OK if the RasterIO() call is blocking and the
callback called from the caller thread.
But I think that if we really want a non-blocking API, something looking like
Adam Nowacki's proposal is rather to be considered.

I think that a callback called from another thread is going to be a source of
lot of problems.