[Gdal-dev] GDAL + ECW writing doesn't work on PPC Mac OSX tiger (10.4)

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Dec 13 11:41:52 EST 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 8:50 AM, philippe brosson wrote:

> if i skip GRASS and LIBGRASS, gdal_translate from Tiff format to ECW
> format
> still gives an error "Trace/BPT trap":

Exactly what I was saying the first time - ECW write is broken on
OSX.  It's known and it needs work.  I've pestered the ECW developers,
but they only had access to older OSX 10.3 development tools (where
they supposedly had it working).

> Does any body know if  conversion to ECW requires more dependencies
> than the
> ones i am using?
> Does the error comes from ECW SDK or GDAL?
> If some one has succeeded ECW writing with Linux or any Unix, which
> arguments did he used for configure?
> thanks,
> philippe

ECW just depends on the ECWJ2 SDK and JPEG.

There should be a crashlog for gdal_translate that shows you that it
is in the ecw library when it crashes.  I don't think it has anything
to do with GDAL.

I think the problem is specific to OSX, so Linux configuration won't
help.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy