[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.6.0 DLL Hell problem on Windows Vista?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 16 15:13:14 EST 2008

Clay, Bruce wrote:
> Frank:
>   What is the secret to getting GDAL to build this way?  I have Visual
> Studio 2005 and have not been able to get it to run.  The zip file you
> posted works fine on my system (Vista 64 Bit) but it does not include
> the csharp files so I have to build.
>
> I have tried building with the makefile.vc file and with the solution
> file.
> In both cases it compiles fine but won't run.  I get an error popup when
> I try to run ogrinfo that says
>
>  "An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library
> without using a manifest.  This is an unsupported way to load Visual
> Studio C++ libraries" etc.

Bruce,

I'm not sure what issue(s) you are running into exactly.  Is this just
running something like gdalinfo that you build against the GDAL16.DLL
that you built?

The only "special" thing I do for the GEOS part of the build which I
build with visual studio 9 (aka 2008 express I think) was to ensure
I distributed the msvcp90.dll and msvcr90.dll along with the corresponding
Microsoft.VC90.CRS.manifest.

I think that Visual Studio 2005 is VC8, so there should be a corresponding
msvc{r,p}80.dll you would need with it, and perhaps a corresponding
manifest.  I haven't been using VS2005 much though so I'm not so sure.

These issues (needing a manifest) don't exist with older visual studio
versions.