[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.6.0 DLL Hell problem on Windows Vista?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 16 16:41:14 EST 2008

Clay, Bruce wrote:
> Frank:
>   I am trying to run ogrinfo from the GDAL build app directory.  I did
> not have a problem with this until my computer died and I had to get a
> new one with you guessed it Vista.  It is a 64 bit system running 64 bit
> Vista so that may be part of the problem.
>
> Did you build with the manifest as part of the build process or just add
> it to the runtime directory?

Bruce,

The Microsoft.VC90.CRS.manifest is part of the runtime, and I copy it from
the runtime directory (as well as the runtime DLLs).

The GDAL16.DLL and executables also all have manifests generated automatically
by VC, and the makefiles have an explicit step to embed the manifests into
the DLL and executables using the "mt" command.

eg.

ogrinfo.exe:	ogrinfo.cpp $(GDALLIB) $(XTRAOBJ)
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(XTRAFLAGS) ogrinfo.cpp $(XTRAOBJ) $(LIBS) \
		/link $(LINKER_FLAGS)
	if exist $@.manifest mt -manifest $@.manifest -outputresource:$@;1

> Did you build the whole package with VS 2008 nor just the GEOS portion?

Only GEOS was built with VS2008.  The rest was built with VS2003.

> I have run into other problems on this computer mainly with drivers.  My
> Microsoft finger print reader is not supported on 64 bit.  It makes me
> wonder just what MS is thing some times, actually most of the time.
> They keep changing things that don't help at all.

I am sure they have good reasons for the things they do, but MS
improvements often just feel like churn to me.  All this manifest stuff
has certainly been a big hassle, breaking a reasonably understandable
model of how DLLs work.