[gdal-dev] How can you use GDAL from a process that has already loaded some other app's xerces-c_2_7.dll?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 30 14:09:13 EST 2008

Jason Roberts wrote:
> Given that you are trying to do the right thing and use the stock binary, I
> hesitate to urge you to regenerate your binaries without the xerces
> dependency or with a renamed DLL. But the fact is, if you do not, the GDAL
> DLL you have released cannot be used in a process that also loads MATLAB or
> ArcGIS DLLs (at least until we can get MathWorks and ESRI to recognize the
> problem and start using stock DLLs). That writes off a potentially large
> group of users, including me. So if it is not too much trouble to begin
> releasing parallel GDAL builds that do not link to xerces, it could benefit
> many people. If you think the cost/benefit is not there, I can probably
> start compiling my own copy of GDAL.

Jason,

It seems clear that I did not use a stock binary and have in fact compiled
this Xerces myself (actually I presume I inherited from Howard's buildkit).

I'm going to start by rebuilding the stock binary without xerces, and we
can think about where to go from there.  Potentially the GML driver could
be offered as a plugin.  I will note that the xerces I used was from OSGeo4W
which is likely to run into similar issues in the future.  So if we do a
renaming it would likely be "xercesc-2.7-osgeo4w.dll" or something similar.

I have filed a ticket for OSGeo4W on the issue:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/31