[gdal-dev] beginners programming questions

WolfgangZ wollez at gmx.net
Fri Feb 15 05:17:57 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm quite new to programming with gdal/python and I want to know if my
ideas are easily doable or if I should better use a GIS system like
Grass for that tasks.

1. accessing the cell value of a (float) tiff. I know how to load the
map into an array, but this seems to be overkill.

2. can I get the surrounding cells or better directly (bilinear/cubic)
interpolated data? I want to extract the elevation for GPS points, but
only the cell value looks not so nice in 3D model as there also
interpolation between the heights is done.

3. can I extract height profiles along a line between two points?

4. can I change the resolution of the input map directly in python (as
replacement of gdal_translate -tr)?

Many thanks
Wolfgang