[gdal-dev] advice on feathering rasters together?

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Feb 20 18:49:37 EST 2008

Hi Jaoquim,

> I'm not familiar with the "feathering" term

I got the term from using photo editing programs like Gimp or Photoshop
when doing similar operations (which I'd be using here except that
source data are 16bit) A couple of examples:
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/11636.html
and the gimp manual here: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-painting.html

 > ...but if what you want is to
> have your DEM flat at the lakes position than both of your "dem.tif" and
> "lakes.tif" files should have exactly the same number of rows/columns.
> Which they have not.

Oops, thanks for pointing that out (not that gdal should care as long as
they are georeferenced properly).

> I don't know a gdal solution but it Matlab (vectorial coding) it would
> be something very close to this two lines.
> P.S. Those Mirone "intriguing things like grdfilter which ... I don’t
> understand" are very well described in the GMT manual.

ahhh, thanks for that. I'll go look it up.

-matt