[gdal-dev] Question regarding overviews

lee heng hock xingfu81 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 04:38:39 EST 2008

Hi,

I like to clarify my understanding on the concept of overviews.

Say if i have a geotif map 300 pix by 300 pix, then if i build a overview
giving a decimation factor of 2, I will get a map 150 pix by 150 pix. This
is so because 1/2 of the amount of pixels along its width and 1/2 of it
along its height are being thrown away, thus resulting in a map with 1/4 the
original map size in terms of total number of pixels.

Did I get my concept right?

Thanks again..
Heng Hock

--