[gdal-dev] Re: Failing to read a JPEG2000

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Feb 29 10:19:38 EST 2008

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam <at> pobox.com> writes:

> > This has worked very well, except for one particular JP2 file. The
> > georeferencing information can be determined without a problem, but when
> > it comes to reading the ColorInterpretation for each of the three colour
> > bands in the file, I get an error in jpc_dec_decodepkts() (a JasPer low
> > level call).
> >
> > This image can be successfully read and displayed by (some) other
> > packages (eg. GlobalMapper).
> >

> Chris,
>
> I tried it too, and it does seem problematic.  I ran gdalinfo against
> the file and got the following errors:

> I should add this was after the process ballooned to 1.8GB of
> RAM (and I think roughly 3GB of total process space).  So it isn't
> entirely clear to me if the problem was an out-of-memory one
> that was poorly reported, or as you suggest something about the
> color model.  Given the pain I incurred trying the image, I'm not
> inclined to try again.
>
> You could file a ticket on the issue, and perhaps Andrey would be
> inclined to look into it.
>
> I will note that the image works with the JP2KAK driver, but comes
> in with odd colors.  I suspect it is in an unusual color model and
> this isn't being addressed by some or all drivers.

I followed your link I got the image first opened by Quick time on my Firefox
browser :) Then I downloaded it and opened with kdu_show without any problem.
Kakadu tells that the image is made with ER Mapper SDK and that it reversible
and using PROFILE0, and about that kdu_show gives this information:  PROFILE0 is
the most restrictive profile for Part 1 conforming codestreams. For my mind your
image is most normal jpeg2000 image, but I must admit that I have never
understood very much about jpeg2000 even if I have been using the format since
1999 or so.

-Jukka Rahkonen-