[gdal-dev] change in ECW license agreement

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Jan 3 17:08:05 EST 2008

Interesting problem.

The "old" GNU license says "This Agreement may only be
modified in writing signed by authorized representatives of
ERM.", but are we bound by those new license changes if we
use only the "old" source?

I say No, but I'm not a lawyer.  If the answer is Yes, then
I think the open source community needs to protect itself by
ensuring licenses for donated source code are granted in
perpetuity.

And both the old and new licenses are vague about the rights
of end-users who are using open-source apps to create ecw
files for sale.  Because I profit from the sale of data in
ecw format (but not from the sale of programs), do I need a
commercial ecw library license?  Maybe.

Perhaps we need a Google summer(s?)-of-code project to
produce a high performance FOSS JPEG 2000 library...

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta