[gdal-dev] OGR / Oracle problems

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Fri Jan 4 16:23:15 EST 2008

I am running into 2 different problems in my program trying to count
fire reports from a MODIS database.

I have a database set up in Oracle 10g with 133 tables reported by
"select count(*) from sde.layers;" Only 3 of them appear to OGR when I
use the OCI driver.  The source code to get the names is shown below.

        public int GetTableList(DataSource dataSource, out ArrayList
tableList)

        {

            int status = -1;

            tableList = null;

            int numLayers = dataSource.GetLayerCount();

            if (numLayers > 0)

            {

                tableList = new ArrayList();

                if (tableList != null)

                {

                    for (int layerIndex = 0; layerIndex < numLayers;
layerIndex++)

                    {

                        Layer layer =
dataSource.GetLayerByIndex(layerIndex);

                        FeatureDefn featureDef = layer.GetLayerDefn();

                        string layerName = featureDef.GetName();

                        tableList.Add(layerName);

                    }

                    if (tableList.Count > 0)

                    {

                        status = 0;

                    }

                }

            }

            return (status);

        }

It looks like OGR is only including the tables that are set up for
SDO_GEOMETRY.  I say that because the same 3 tables show up if I issue
the following SQL

      select * from USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA ;  All of the tables were
created with ArcCatalog but these three tables have been updated to
support use of SDO_GEOMETRY by adding metadata to Oracle.

The other problem I am encountering is that Date fields are not returned
along with other attribute fields.  The code I use to get the field list
is shown below.  All the field names are returned except for Date,
Geometry and the BLOB ESRI added for SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA.  Geometry I can
of course can get with a direct call. And the BLOB I don't really care
about but it would be nice if the field definition showed up. The date
is a critical field to use for the data retrieval because I am looking
specific date time windows.

        public int GetFieldList(DataSource dataSource, string tableName,

                                                     out
List<fieldInfoRec> fieldList)

        {

            int status = -1;

            fieldList = new List<fieldInfoRec>();

            if ((dataSource != null) && (tableName.Length > 0))

            {

                Layer layer = dataSource.GetLayerByName(tableName);

                if (layer != null)

                {

                    FeatureDefn featureDef = layer.GetLayerDefn();

                    int numFields = featureDef.GetFieldCount();

                    for (int fieldIndex = 0; fieldIndex < numFields;
fieldIndex++)

                    {

                        FieldDefn fieldDef =
featureDef.GetFieldDefn(fieldIndex);

                        if (fieldDef != null)

                        {

                            fieldInfoRec fieldInfo = new fieldInfoRec();

                            fieldInfo.fieldName = fieldDef.GetName();

                            fieldList.Add(fieldInfo);

                        }

                    }

                    if (fieldList.Count > 0)

                    {

                        status = 0;

                    }

                }

            }

            else

            {

                mLastErrorMsg = "GetFieldList:Invalid parameters";

            }

            return (status);

        }

Are these known issues?  Is there a way to work around them?

Bruce