[gdal-dev] GDAL / Python and PPC

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Jan 5 20:45:21 EST 2008

I guess I don't understand where the problem is.  Here is what I got
out of your original description of the problem:

   OSX 10.4
   Python 2.5.1 universal binary installed
   no numpy

   build and install numpy from source, but it won't build universal

   GDAL python fails to build because numpy is not universal

more below...

On Jan 5, 2008, at 7:02 PM, Brian Hamlin wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2008, at 2:17 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> export ARCHFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386"
>
> Hi William-
>
>  thanks very much for the reply. Unfortunately, ARCHFLAGS didn't help.
> The link failure is just the same...

When I think about it, the GDAL python libs shouldn't be linking
directly to the numpy libs anyways.  Python extension libs are really
loadable modules, like plugins.  The python scripts take care of
problem, not a linking failure?  What is the error when compiling GDAL?

> One thing to note is that I already have numpy built and in place in
> python. Hence,
> why would I need another numpy built at all? Why is GDAL trying to
> build a numpy?
> numpy is there already, working...
>
> (on the same note, a binary install package is not necessary.
> *unless* that makes the
> build work, of course!)

Installing the numpy binary from pythonmac.org is just a convenience
so you don't have to worry about problems building it universal, which
is what I think is the source of the GDAL problems.

GDAL doesn't come with its own copy of the numpy source or try to
build it.

> I am open to all solutions, as I dont rely on python for anything
> else  right now, aside
> from an occasional Regionator run..
>
> best regards
>   -Brian

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro