[gdal-dev] Shapefile to Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Mon Jan 7 14:17:05 EST 2008

Kent -

Frank's response is helpful here - I knew the 98xx codes were familiar but the light bulb didn't go on in my head.

If you have the PROJ library installed, you should have an EPSG file.  It is normally in /usr/local/share/proj.

The EPSG system is a set of numeric codes for standard geographic mathematical objects.  Those codes are used by PROJ to specify a specific projection, and act as both (a) a form of standardized shorthand for a specific projection and (b) a way to avoid typos, ambiguity, or confusion in describing a projection.

Not all EPSG code values refer to specific projections; some refer to families of projections, or projection types.  In your case, code 9820 refers to the entire class of all possible Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area (LAEA) projections.  There are an infinite number of LAEA projections; a specific projection is defined by the class/type of projection (LAEA in this example) and the particular parameters used to define the exact projection to be used.  Frank described, for example, one sort of LAEA projection you might want, centered on latitude=0, longitude=0.  An LAEA projection centered on latitude=0, longitude=90 is a different projection although it belongs to the same class.

If you are to use an EPSG code to describe a projection, you need to use one of the numeric codes found in your /usr/local/share/proj/epsg file.  Not all possible projections are described; only standard and commonly-used ones.

You don't have to use an EPSG code, and if you're not using a standard and well-known projection (not projection class) then there's no need to either look for or invent one.  You can instead describe the projection you want parametrically, using either the WKT or PROJ formats Frank described.  I usually like to use the PROJ format since it's a bit less verbose, but either will work.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
Demand Media / TopoZone.com