[gdal-dev] LAS format?

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:18:00 EST 2008

Jonathan,

OGR does not currently support reading/writing LAS data, but there are
some activities in the works toward moving that direction.  Mateusz
Loskot, Phil Vachon, and myself are currently working on developing a
LAS library with the intent that an OGR driver will be built atop it http://liblas.org
.  The work builds on a library by Martin Isenburg that supports
reading and writing LAS data.  We are working on reengineering it to
use stl streams for i/o, add C and Python APIs, and architect things
with an eye toward supporting LAS 2.0 if that insane specification
actually sees the light of day.

Perry has a good synopsis and short term approach described on his
weblog at http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=38

As far as lobbying for inclusion, money and/or development time are
the most effective persuasive instruments :)  My goal is to have an
OGR driver by the end of the year, however.

Howard