[gdal-dev] using gdal_translate with -dsco switch

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Wed Jan 9 16:33:53 EST 2008

I am converting elevation data in Gtiff format to contours in KML
format, but running into a usage problem when attempting to create 3D
contours.

I noted the discussion here about enabling correct 3D representation
in Google Earth (This is a great addition):
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1570
and the need to use driver specific name=value option for ogr2ogr of
"-dsco AltitudeMode=absolute" here:
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_kml.html

When I attempt to use it with gdal_translate the utility simply
returns the usage instructions. I'm guessing that either I am putting
the flag in the wrong place or this option is not enabled in
gdal_contour, even though I am able to successfully write KML with
gdal_contour.

I'm running GDAL 1.5.0b2 on mac os x. This works for me:
gdal_contour -f KML -i 5.0 blakely.tif five_meter_contours.kml 		//
Note: the -3d switch is left out intentionally since it does not seem
to affect KML output

These do not:
gdal_contour -f KML -i 5.0 blakely.tif five_meter_contours.kml -dsco
AltitudeMode=absolute
gdal_contour -f KML -dsco AltitudeMode=absolute -i 5.0 blakely.tif
five_meter_contours.kml

Anyone have ideas of the problem?

Regards,

Dane